Friday, September 15, 2006

introducing Natalie Nouveau



Ken dubbed me Natalie Nouveau after seeing the photos from the "Weekend from Awesome." I was wearing a tshirt with an Alphonse Mucha print on it. I really like the name and decided to create a character from it, which is what you see above.

I drew it Wednesday night on commercial breaks of Project Runway. I think that actually helped me with getting the figure accurate.

Today, I went up to my mom school to work on the mural once more. Turns out someone stole one of my tubes of paint and a paintbrush. Those tubes are around $6 a piece. Not cool. I was still able to work on the mural though, but it was frustrating using a different brush than I was used to.

The last period of the day, I got inspired to draw a picture of Natalie along with Ken's SLAM EVIL persona, Leroy rockWELL.



I'm really pleased with how this came out. It's pretty much how I pictured it in my mind. Yay for successful execution. If you haven't noticed, I tried to mimic Mucha's style with the art nouveau design elements ("stylized realism" at its best). I thought it would be hard to get the Leroy rockWELL character to fit in with everything. I used photo refs of Kendall to get the face right, and everything else just fell into place. The clouds on the bottom was totally spontaneous. Either I was being really experimental, or I was too lazy to draw their legs and feet. . . You decide.

2 comments:

Afua Richardson said...

oi girl these are AWESOME ( topped with awesome sauce)

Anonymous said...

Your drawings are great! And you're a graphic design student? I was an illustration major, and it was rare to see drawings as good as these from people in my classes. You make me really sore that I don't practice as much as I should anymore.